Let’s invite our neighbors to join us in calling on the administration to decriminalize UW!
Ask Your Favorite Partner Organization to Endorse the Call
Dear [amazing community organization],
I am writing to ask you to sign on to our petition to Decriminalize UW through disarming UWPD and ending collaboration with other policing. Since the petition launched in June, the administration has committed to no longer hiring anyone with a disciplinary record and to reduce UW Seattle campus patrols by 20%, but there is so much more to do! Will you join me in signing the petition? https://bit.ly/DecrimUWorg
Individuals can also sign the petition at: https://bit.ly/DecrimUWind
I would also be grateful if you let our university administration know why this is important
Who can you share your thoughts with:
- President Cauce on Twitter https://twitter.com/amcauce and email email@example.com
- Denzil Suite, Vice President of Student Life, which is who pays for UW’s Police Department: https://twitter.com/DenzilJS and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Board of Regents — they are effectively President Cauce’s supervisor and represent community leadership at the University of Washington: email@example.com
Things you can tweet / write share with administrators about why UW should decriminalize to be a better neighbor:
- UWPD must stop criminalizing people experiencing houselessness in the U District!
- UW should redirect the millions of dollars it spends every year on policing towards education and mental health for Black students
- Partner organizations do not want to attend events on the Seattle campus that have plainclothes officers and/or local law enforcement agencies (such as cops as private contractors). For communities of color, this makes our campus dangerous and unwelcoming.
- UW’s Student Life budget should go to student life! Now more than ever we need funding to pay our Black and Indigenous community leaders to share knowledge with our students.
- (Or whatever your important reason is for why UW should be a good neighbor)